Friday, June 11, 2010

Sorrows of a Ghost (Douleurs d'un Fantôme)

The other night I was talking to my friend about when I used to speak French. I really did used to speak it! I lived in Europe a long time ago. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to translate one of my poems into French. It's just a little poem I wrote last night. I think it's a beautiful language and I miss hearing it.

My destiny will be ghosts occupying my heart, taking fever from my soul
Abstract affection is what possesses me
Hurting, still bleeding
Fading into the midst of my imagination
My beautiful love for you, diminishing
I am always here, why can't you see me?
Pleading with the roses to take painful retrospection from my mind
Honesty cutting my heart into pieces, falling on the ground, turning into ashes.
Closing my eyes, I am invisible to you
Asking me for a dance, holding your hand
You let me go before I could embrace you



Mon destin sera fantômes occupent mon cœur, en prenant la fièvre de mon âme
Résumé affection est ce qui me possède
Mal, saignement encore
Fading au milieu de mon imagination
Mon bel amour pour vous, la diminution du
Je suis toujours ici, pourquoi ne pas me voir?
Plaidant avec les roses, à prendre la rétrospection douloureuse de mon esprit
Honnêteté coupe mon cœur en morceaux, en tombant sur le sol, se transformant en cendres.
En fermant les yeux, je suis invisible pour vous
me demander une danse, la tenue de votre main
Vous me laisser partir avant que je puisse vous embrasse


2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. Were you a native french or did you just learn it very well? My 8 years of spanish have all but vanished on me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe me if I said that I used to be fluent?

    Language really does die if you go more than half a decade without a need for it though...

    :/

    ReplyDelete